Maybe it’s been recommended by a friend or you’re just curious about white sage and want to learn more about the benefits before getting started. Either way, you’re in the right place because we’ve used years of feedback from our customers to create this simple beginners guide.
Burning white sage is a ritual that has been used for centuries throughout many cultures. Often referred to as smudging, it’s most commonly used to cleanse you and your home of negative and stagnant energy - it’s like an energetic shower.
But, why is energetic cleansing so important? Well think about how you feel when you’ve been in the company of uplifting positive people or at an event where everyone is enjoying themselves - have you felt that energetic shift that has you smiling for days?
So we know that we carry and respond to the energy around us - both our own and fragments of other people’s within our homes and workspaces every day. Sometimes this energy isn’t always as positive as we’d like and as it begins to accumulate and stagnate it can cause low moods, a feeling of being stuck and even cause difficulties within relationships.
Burning white sage is a calming ritual and can be used as often as required but it can be particularly useful:
- When moving into a new home.
- When you want to cleanse the energy from a particular room or object.
- When your mood or energy is low.
- When you need to ground and refocus your spiritual energy.
- When you have decluttered your space.
- After periods of stress or illness.
- After having company in your home.
While smudging with white sage is ideal for clearing the air on an energetic level, it also has a few other practical uses. It releases negative ions that fight against things like dust and pollution. Research has also shown that it can clear 94% of bacteria (for up to 24hrs) which is why it’s great to use when you’ve not been feeling well.
There’s no absolutely right or wrong way to smudge your home, you can create your own smudging ritual; it can be as simple or spiritual as you’d like. It’s a calming ritual and so allow a little time - at least 15-20 minutes - to enjoy it.
What Do I Need?
Smudge Stick - Use only sustainable and ethically sourced Californian white sage because the intention is to create positive energy, read over 200+ reviews for our sage sticks.
Fireproof container - For safety and to catch falling embers; complete your ritual with one of our beautiful hand-thrown sage bowls.
Candle/Matches - Either works but I prefer a natural candle to help achieve a healthy flame and a good amount of smoke to begin your sage ritual.
- Method to extinguish - Simply press the stick firmly into the fireproof container until it has been extinguished or use sand or earth. If you plan on re-lighting your sage stick then never use water to extinguish it.
How Do I Cleanse with White Sage?
- Open windows to allow airflow and to help stagnant energy to leave.
- Before beginning, pause to set an intention for your ritual; it may be to release stagnant energy, welcome a new beginning, or simply cleanse your space before meditation or yoga.
- When you’re ready to light your sage stick, hold it at a 45-degree angle above a flame (a natural candle works well). If a flame catches on the sage stick, gently blow it out to create a light smoulder.
- Hold your sage stick above a fireproof container to catch any falling embers and carry it carefully around your home encouraging the smoke into all spaces.
- Pay particular attention to areas where energy naturally stagnates such as corners of rooms, behind doors and spaces that are not used often.
- Visualise the smoke absorbing all negativity - watch it naturally disappear and float out of windows taking away energy that no longer serves you.
- When cleansing your personal energy, carefully pass the smouldering stick from your feet to your head and back again, while visualising the negative energy leaving your body and being returned to earth for cleansing.
- When ready, extinguish the stick by pressing it lightly into your fireproof dish or into dry earth/sand. Never use water as this will result in you being unable to re-light the stick.
Frequently Asked Questions about Sage Cleansing
Should I have to relight my white sage stick during my cleansing ritual
Yes, it’s common to relight your sage stick to keep it smouldering. It can be helpful to loosen the twine around the stick and allow a healthy flow of oxygen into your home by keeping windows open.
Should I say anything while using my white sage sticks?
Always set an intention before starting your ritual and align any words you use during your ritual with this intention. For example, if your intention is to cleanse your home then using a phrase such as ‘I release all energy that no longer serves me and my family’. You could also use your favourite affirmation, mantra or prayer.
How often should I use my white sage sticks?
Your sage sticks can be used daily, weekly or even monthly, whenever you feel that they’re needed.
Where to Buy White Sage Sticks
You can buy our individual white sage sticks which have been ethically and sustainably sourced from California.
For ease, you can also enjoy one of our Ritual Kits created for Home Cleansing, Healing, Love and New Beginnings - each one contains white sage and a step-by-step ritual guide.
White Sage Smudge Stick Testimonials
"Absolutely love the white sage smudge sticks. Such a comforting aroma to clear the negative energy from our home."
- Jayne, South Port
"I was really intrigued by the smudge stick and wasn't disappointed when it arrived. It was beautifully packaged along with a hand written note from Leanna. The personal touch made all the difference. I enjoy using the smudge stick in every room of my home and the scent is very distinctive and uplifting. I will definitely be purchasing more items from Pure Thoughts in the future"
- Natalie, Essex
"I am so addicted to these sticks. I use it before I meditate, after a fight or when I feel negative. I also use this in my garden. I can actually feel the change in energy after using it. Clearly the best product to keep negativity at bay."
- Geetanjali, Kenilworth
"I’ve wanted to try smudge sticks for a long time. These are just lovely! They smell divine when burning and they leave a lovely scent afterwards. Beautifully packaged too. I’ve now got a peaceful smudging ritual which makes me feel calm and centered - I’m so glad I discovered them!I’ve wanted to try smudge sticks for a long time. These are just lovely! They smell divine when burning and they leave a lovely scent afterwards. Beautifully packaged too. I’ve now got a peaceful smudging ritual which makes me feel calm and centered - I’m so glad I discovered them!"
- Rebecca, Hitchin
AUTHOR: LEANNA DOOLIN
Co – Founder of holistic skincare brand, Pure Thoughts and advocate for women finding pause in their day to breathe deeply, give thanks and reconnect to what matters. Loves early mornings, dogs and books that you can’t put down.