We're all used to giving our homes and work spaces a physical clear out and de-clutter every once in a while but it can also be helpful to give them an energetic one too - to help cleanse them of stagnant and negative energies that naturally collect over time.
If the idea of cleansing your space is new to you, then bear with me. Can you remember a time when you've walked into a room or building for the first time and had an immediate reaction - either a warm, welcoming feeling or an uncomfortable sense that you couldn't quite explain? It's simply energy, good and bad left behind by people and events over the course of time.
So, it makes sense that our own homes collect these energies too - even happy homes collect both positive and negative vibrations. That's why de-cluttering and cleaning our homes feels so good.
Dried herbs have been burnt and used for cleansing, healing and spiritual purposes for as long as time and it's a simple ritual that I encourage you to try - here’s how to get started...
• Select the herbs that you want to burn; white sage is typically used to remove negative energy but you can also use herbs such as sweet grass to invite good energies in. Research and experiment with what feels right - you can even dry and use your own herbs as smudging wands.
• Open a window to help any smoke and negative energy leave easily.
• Light your smudge stick in a fireproof container and once a flame has caught, blow it out. It will then smoke gently like incense.
• Walk around your space clockwise, carefully allowing the smoke to reach around the perimeter of your space - focus on smaller spaces that collect negative energy like corners, windows and behind doors.
• There are some who believe the stick should be left to smoulder rather than extinguish - this should only be done if you are able to stay with it while it burns. If not then extinguish it by lightly pressing the stick into earth or into a fireproof dish.
I love the ritual of smudging, it helps me to stay mindful of the natural vibrations at home and at work - our workspaces are regularly cleansed with sage to help keep our energy light while we create our products.
It always feels especially appropriate at the start of a something new - a project, life phase or new house. But, keep in mind that it can also be used to let go of vibrations left behind after arguments or bouts of illness and stress.
So, are you ready to give it a try?
You may be interested in these products
WHITE SAGE SMUDGE STICK
- Californian wildcrafted white sage
- Sustainably harvested
- No hidden ingredients. No charcoal or perfume.
- Hand tied with organic hemp twine
View sage sticks
HOME CLEANSING RITUAL KIT
- Two bundles of Californian wildcrafted white sage
- Peace Candle for uplifting energy
- Step by step guide for your ritual
- Clear quartz crystal for amplifying your intentions
View Home Cleansing Kit
"Absolutely love the white sage smudge sticks. Such a comforting aroma to clear the negative energy from our home."
- Jayne, South Port
"I was really intrigued by the smudge stick and wasn't disappointed when it arrived. It was beautifully packaged along with a hand written note from Leanna. The personal touch made all the difference. I enjoy using the smudge stick in every room of my home and the scent is very distinctive and uplifting. I will definitely be purchasing more items from Pure Thoughts in the future"
- Natalie, Essex
"I am so addicted to these sticks. I use it before I meditate, after a fight or when I feel negative. I also use this in my garden. I can actually feel the change in energy after using it. Clearly the best product to keep negativity at bay."
- Geetanjali, Kenilworth
"I’ve wanted to try smudge sticks for a long time. These are just lovely! They smell divine when burning and they leave a lovely scent afterwards. Beautifully packaged too. I’ve now got a peaceful smudging ritual which makes me feel calm and centered - I’m so glad I discovered them!I’ve wanted to try smudge sticks for a long time. These are just lovely! They smell divine when burning and they leave a lovely scent afterwards. Beautifully packaged too. I’ve now got a peaceful smudging ritual which makes me feel calm and centered - I’m so glad I discovered them!"
- Rebecca, Hitchin
View sage sticks
AUTHOR: LEANNA DOOLIN
Co – Founder of holistic skincare brand, Pure Thoughts and advocate for women finding pause in their day to breathe deeply, give thanks and reconnect to what matters. Loves early mornings, dogs and books that you can’t put down.